For class, I chose a spotted deer as reference for my herbivore sculpt. We were given two weeks — plus one day of in-class time — for this project. I began my sculpt with zSpheres and built on from there, posing and refining the model as I progressed. By the end, the final product was less-so realistic and more-so stylized.
The first hurdle for this piece was defining an approach. This was the first creature I've ever modeled in ZBrush, and I wasn't sure how to begin. I chose to use ZSpheres after trying them out in class and found the tool intuitive enough to use. After the base was finished, I immediately set to sculpting and getting the legs proportionate and true to the reference.
The second problem I faced was with fiber mesh. I had hoped to add fur to the model, but discovered how difficult it would be to accomplish so late in the game. Instead, I settled on making a more stylized deer with the fur sculpted on. I managed to complete the deer close to the due date and finished up by polypainting the mesh.
If I had the time or the opportunity, I'd like to come back to this sculpt and try my hand at fiber meshing again. For now, although it's different that I envisioned it to be, I'm pleased with how it turned out.